What Future for the Kurds in Iraq ?
Organised by: The Kurdish Institute of Paris
Friday 29 november 2002
At the Salle Victor Hugo
101 rue de l'Université, 75007 Paris
8.45: Welcoming speech.
9.25: Opening speech : Jalal Talabani, Secretary General of
the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan
9.30 - 11.00 : Panel 1 : Is the status quo tenable ?
· Moderator: Alain Gresh, Editor in Chief of the Le Monde
· Keynote Speaker: Gérard Chaliand, geopolitical expert, back
from Iraqi Kurdistan.
· Hamit Bozarslan, lecturer at the Ecole des hautes études en
Sciences Sociasles (School of Advanced Social Sciences)
· Fuad Hussein, Vice-President of the Paris Kurdish Institute
· Pierre-Jean Luizard, specialist on Iraq
· Adnan Mufti, Deputy Prime Minister of the Kurdish Regional
· Dr. Mowafaq Al Rubaie, Iraqi opposition, London.
11.00 - 12.45: Panel 2 : The situation of the Kurds and the
minorities in Kurdistan
· Moderator: Bernard Dorin, Ambassador of France
Key Speaker: Mrs. Nasrine Berwari, Minister of Reconstruction
in the Kurdish Regional Government (Irbil)
· Jasim Elyas, Yezidi former minister
· Abdul Razzak Feyli, Minister for Humanitarian Action in the
Kurdish Regional Government (Suleimaniah)
· Jewdat Najar, a Turkoman junior Minister in the Kurdish
· Albert Yelda, Chairman of the Assyrian Cultural Centre
12.45 - 14.45 Lunch Break
15.00 - 16.30: Panel 3 : What political future for the Kurds
in Iraq ?
· Moderator: Jonathan Randal, Journalist, former Washington
Post Middle East Correspondent.
· Keynote Speaker: Jalal Talabani, Secretary General of the
Patriotic Union of Kurdistan
· Ghassan Attiya, Iraqi opposition
· Siyamend Othman, independent Iraqi analyst, former
Vice-President of United Press International (London)
· Adil Abdul Wahid, Spokesman of the Supreme Council of the
· Hushyar Zibari, Head of the Department of International
Relations of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (Irbil).
16.30 - 18.20 Panel 4 : What role for France and Europe in
· Moderator: Serge July*, Director of Libération daily
· Keynote Speaker: Bernard Kouchner, former Minister of
Health, back from Iraqi Kurdistan
· Dominique de Villepin*, French Minister of Foreign Affairs
· Peter Galbraith, former U.S. Ambassador in Croatia,
specialist on Iraq (Washington)
· François Loncle, Vice-President of the Foreign Affairs
· Kendal Nezan, President of the Paris Kurdish Institute
· Hubert Védrine, former Foreign Minister of France
18.20 Closing speech : Massoud Barzani, President of the
Kurdistan Democratic Party